Thursday, July 31, 2008

Talkin all that Jazz

My style of work changes as I change. Jazz music to me has always been about the cool. It is something that has no boundaries and has never adhered to the mainstream standards. The different sounds and sonic emissions from the instruments converging in a perfect harmony with the universal surroundings is art. I listen to jazz and have a few jazz jawns in my collection. I got this Grant Green record called "Alive". It has a piece called "Down Here On Earth" that is funky. It also has a piece called "Sookie Sookie". Grant Green is ill and A Tribe Called Quest sampled some of his work. I listen to jazz and soul music when I am creating something. The problem I have is that when I talk to other folks about jazz in Dalton, it's like I am speaking another language. Folks don't seem interested in expanding outside of the local box called Dalton, GA. My passion for art, culture, music and our history is extensive and deep. Since I been back in Dalton, I feel like Hancock. Life for me here is difficult cause I am the only one of my kind. When I move back to the A.T.L., I know things will be different cause their are alot of kindred souls out there that dig jazz. This is a painting I did while listening to a Lou Donaldson record called " Pot Belly". It made me think about the Harlem Renaissance and how those cats got down back then. I am thinking about doing a series of jazz inspired works. I am cool cause I listen to jazz for real and aint ever fronted. I can keep it real and back up the jazz I talk!

No comments: