Wednesday, August 13, 2008

WATTSTAX (yall need to see this movie)



About 5 years ago, I got a chance to see a movie that changed my life. The movie was called "WATTSTAX". It is a movie about a concert in 1972 in watts that featured Issac Hayes, Jesse Jackson, Rufus Thomas, Melvin Van Peeples, Ossie Davis/Ruby Dee, The Staple Singers, Little Milton and Johnny Taylor. The images in this movie were off the chain. My parents named me Jody because my pops was a Johnny Taylor fan and he had a big hit in the 70's called "Jody's Got Yo Girl". There was pop lockers, big afros, bell bottoms, polyester suites, chicken, platform shoes, hip huggas, dancing, sanging, perms, braids, guitars, drums, and master Richard Pryor tellin gut bustin jokes. This movie was put on by Stax records in memphis and tells the story about soul music. Some of the sistas in this movie are hot and it showcases the soul curves black women are known for worldwide. The crazy thing is that you will see somebody in this movie that looks like somebody you see in the hood everyday. At the end, this big limo comes rollin in and the people start to go crazy. Jesse Jackson is on stage and he introduces black moses. Issac Hayes come on stage in this chain vest and then proceeds to tear the house down. It is very symbolic considering his recent passing. On the soundtrack album, Hayes does a cover version of a ray charles classic and he gits busy. After I seen this movie, I started incorporating more of the 70's vibe into some of my black art. I have did 3ft sized afro-piks, afro totem poles and afro statues. I was born in the 70's and I love the music, clothes and styles. The richard pryor parts are funny as hell and you will die laughing and farting at the same time. This movie is great and I suggest yall check it out.