Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Blues

This is a painting I am working on. The blues originated in the south and I am proud of that. We have all experienced the blues from our grandmothers and fathers workin in the fields to being racial profiled by dumb ass police in 2008. This picture above is something different I am dwelling on. It is a picture of blues man "Sonny Boy Williamson". I have always listened to the blues and really got into it when I started listening to the Deacon Blues show on clark university's 91.9 WCLK station on saturday mornings. Deacon Blues(who is from chattanooga, tn and a professor at Clark) did a tribute to Sonny Boy and talked about this blues man's style with the Harmonica. Sonny Boy was smooth and could get down with the best of them. With blues music, the name you go by is embedded in the overall lure and ora of true southern blues music and culture. I have experienced the blues and felt like dying sometimes. All I needed was a guitar, a corner shot of Mr. Boston and directions to the cross roads. But now, I got my mojo workin and I'm ready to throw some horse shoes. After I finish this painting, I have decided to create a painting centered around other blues legends like Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters, Big Mama Thorton, Son House, Howlin Wolf and Bessie Smith. This will be my artistic tribute to the blues. Yall check out some blues when ya get a chance and listen!

1 comment:

raw said...

cool work. I have two solo shows this year. 'Minority Report' is Nov. and 'Black Art is Dead' is in Dec.

I'll keep you posted.

Do you have any shows coming up?